Pho Bo Vien, or beef meatball pho, is a popular Vietnamese dish that features flavorful beef broth, tender beef meatballs, and a variety of aromatic herbs and spices. This comforting and hearty noodle soup is a favorite among pho enthusiasts. In this recipe, we’ll guide you through the process of making delicious beef meatball pho right in your own kitchen. Let’s get started!
For the beef meatballs:
- 500g ground beef
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
For the broth:
- 2 liters beef broth
- 1 onion, halved
- 4-5 slices of ginger
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 3 star anise
- 3 cloves
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Salt, to taste
- 200g rice noodles, cooked according to package instructions
- Fresh herbs (Thai basil, cilantro, mint)
- Bean sprouts
- Lime wedges
- Sliced chili peppers (optional)
- Hoisin sauce and Sriracha sauce (optional)
- Prepare the beef meatballs:
- In a mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, minced garlic, chopped shallots, fish sauce, sugar, black pepper, salt, cornstarch, and vegetable oil.
- Mix everything together until well combined.
- Shape the mixture into small meatballs, about 2-3 cm in diameter. Set aside.
- Make the broth:
- In a large pot, add the beef broth, onion halves, ginger slices, cinnamon sticks, star anise, and cloves.
- Bring the broth to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 30 minutes to allow the flavors to infuse.
- Remove the spices and onion from the broth.
- Cook the beef meatballs:
- Bring the broth back to a gentle boil.
- Carefully drop the meatballs into the boiling broth.
- Cook the meatballs for about 10-12 minutes or until they are cooked through and no longer pink in the center.
- Remove the cooked meatballs from the broth and set them aside.
- Season the broth:
- Add fish sauce, sugar, and salt to the broth.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings according to your preference.
- Assemble the beef meatball pho:
- Place a portion of cooked rice noodles into each serving bowl.
- Add a few beef meatballs on top of the noodles.
- Ladle the hot broth over the noodles and meatballs.
- Serve and garnish:
- Serve the beef meatball pho hot.
- Serve with a plate of fresh herbs, bean sprouts, lime wedges, sliced chili peppers (if desired), and condiments like hoisin sauce and Sriracha sauce.
- Allow everyone to garnish their pho bowls according to their taste.
Enjoy your delicious homemade beef meatball pho, filled with flavorful broth, tender meatballs, and aromatic herbs. It’s a satisfying and comforting dish that