Vegetarian spring rolls, also known as fresh spring rolls or salad rolls, are a light and healthy appetizer or snack popular in many Asian cuisines. These rolls are packed with fresh vegetables and herbs, making them a delightful and refreshing treat. Here’s how to make them at home.
For the Spring Rolls:
- 12-15 rice paper wrappers (spring roll wrappers)
- 2 cups cooked and cooled rice vermicelli noodles
- 1 cup fresh lettuce leaves (such as Romaine or Boston lettuce)
- 1 cup fresh bean sprouts
- 1 cup thinly sliced cucumber
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped basil leaves (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted peanuts (optional)
- Lime wedges for serving (optional)
For the Dipping Sauce:
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon sriracha sauce (adjust to your preferred level of spiciness)
- 2-3 tablespoons water (to adjust the consistency)
1. Prepare the Rice Vermicelli Noodles:
- Cook the rice vermicelli noodles according to the package instructions. Rinse them under cold water to cool them down and prevent sticking. Drain and set aside.
2. Prepare the Dipping Sauce:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, hoisin sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar, minced garlic, and sriracha sauce.
- Add water as needed to achieve your desired sauce consistency. Set the dipping sauce aside.
3. Soak the Rice Paper Wrappers:
- Fill a shallow dish or a large bowl with warm water.
- Dip one rice paper wrapper into the warm water for about 5-10 seconds, or until it becomes pliable but not too soft.
- Carefully remove it from the water and place it on a clean, damp kitchen towel.
4. Assemble the Spring Rolls:
- Start by placing a lettuce leaf at the bottom of the rice paper wrapper, leaving a small border around the edges.
- Add a small portion of cooked rice vermicelli noodles on top of the lettuce.
- Arrange a handful of fresh bean sprouts, cucumber slices, shredded carrots, mint leaves, cilantro leaves, and optional basil leaves on top of the noodles.
- If desired, sprinkle with chopped roasted peanuts for extra crunch and flavor.
5. Roll the Spring Rolls:
- Carefully fold the sides of the rice paper wrapper inward over the filling.
- Roll up the wrapper from the bottom, tucking the filling in tightly as you go.
- Continue to roll until you have a neat spring roll.
- Repeat the process with the remaining ingredients.
- Serve the vegetarian spring rolls immediately with the dipping sauce and lime wedges on the side.
Conclusion: Homemade vegetarian spring rolls are a delightful and healthy snack or appetizer that’s perfect for any occasion. These fresh rolls are not only delicious but also customizable, so feel free to add your favorite ingredients. Enjoy the combination of crisp vegetables, fresh herbs, and a flavorful dipping sauce in every bite.